News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/28/2019 11:39:08 AM to 2/1/2020 12:00:02 AM.

News Flash

Clerks Office

Posted on: December 28, 2019

[ARCHIVED] Flood Elevation Certificate FAQ


  • What is an Elevation Certificate?
    • An Elevation Certificate is a document that proves how high or low your home is compared to the 100-year floodplain.
  • Who needs an Elevation Certificate?
    • Residents interested in possibly reducing their Flood Insurance Premiums.
    • Pompton Lakes will require an Elevation Certificate for some improvements to your home to get a building permit. Contact the Borough Building Department for additional information.
  • How do I get an Elevation Certificate?
    • Residents must hire a Professional Land Surveyor licensed in New Jersey.
    • If a previous owner filed one with the Borough for improvements, the Elevation Certificate may be on file with the Pompton Lakes Building Department.
  • I already have an Elevation Certificate, do I need to get a new one?
    • Only if your home has changed (added a finished basement, converted a garage to living space, or made an addition) since the Elevation Certificate was first created.
    • You may need to provide some additional information, such as pictures.
  • Do I need to submit my Elevation Certificate to FEMA or an Insurance Agent?
    • You are not required to submit the Elevation Certificate to FEMA or an Insurance Agent. You are only required to submit the Elevation Certificate to Pompton Lakes for certain building permits.


FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) is revising the Floodplain Maps for Pompton Lakes and the floodplain limits may change at your property. Go to for current maps. Select “Show ALL Products” then “Preliminary Products” for the pending revised maps.

More detailed Elevation Certificate information is available by searching for FEMA’s Elevation Certificates: Who Needs Them and Why Fact Sheet in an internet search engine (Google).

This flyer is provided by the Flood Advisory Board for informational purposes only. Residents should consult an insurance agent for official information and the Borough’s Building Department of any building permit related matters.

Facebook Twitter Email